miércoles, 15 de mayo de 2013

Superman+Batman=Siddhartha

When I was told to write a blog comparing Siddhartha to a superhero, my mind immediately raced. Of course, Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Iron Man, Aquaman, and all the other heroes that appeared in recent movies or are very known came to mind at first. 
I decided to compare Siddhartha to Superman and Batman, and when I told this to my friend Anita, she responded saying how little my originality was... Ouch. I'm waiting to see what her "oh-so-original-blog-entry" will compare Siddhartha to.
Anyways, I must admit that, sadly, I am running low on originality with all these endless blogs. Superman came to mind followed by a particular scene from Kill Bill Vol.2.
I ask you to please watch it before you proceed: Kill Bill Superman Dialogue



What Bill is basically saying it's that Superman doesn't need to become a hero, he already was was born one. Unlike other heroes who have to put on a costume to become heroes, Superman is already Superman. When he wakes up in the morning, he is Superman. He becomes Clark Kent to blend in.
Why, I believe this is very much like Siddhartha's case, because he doesn't have to pretend to be wise, he didn't have to fall into a pit of radioactive waste to be who he is, he was born Siddhartha. Since the beginning of the book, the author has always mentioned how people adored him: "That was how everybody loved Siddhartha. He delighted and made everyone happy." (pg. 2). To make those people happy, he was simply himself.
Another reason why I compare these two, is because I like the idea of Superman being from another planet. Again making a connection to what Bill says, Superman is unique because he is not from this planet, therefore he also feels isolated, different. I noticed throughout the book that Siddhartha is never satisfied, he feels off, and he is, in a way, isolated, as if he was from another planet. 


Now... Batman!
I don't have another inspirational speech from an action movie to draw ideas from, but here is a short video of the 1966's Batman series intro (you know, "nanananananana batman!) for good ol' time's sake.

Batman seemed a good superhero to compare Siddhartha to. Why you ask? Well if you stop being so pushy and read ahead you will find out. Gosh.

Not to be "mean", but when you think about it, Batman is one of the only superheroes without superpowers. He can't fly, shoot lasers out of his eyes, he doesn't have super-strength, can't become invisible, breathe underwater, etc... makes you wonder how he keeps all of Gotham City safe, eh?
While he may not have any of that kind of superpower, he designs and makes his own weapons, tools, gadgets, vehicles, and well all know how cool those are, or did you not want a Batmobile as a child?! Those are his own inventions. He sketched them and put them together, and let me say, that not anyone can do that. Batman winds up defeating the villains, not because he can see through walls or talk to animals, but because he is an ingenious man. You watch the movies and you realize that he always has a trick or two under his sleeve, a back-up plan, and he is always sure of what he is doing. Batman is no fool.
That, my friend, is why he reminds me of Siddhartha. Siddy can't run at the speed of light, he can't control minds with his own, and he cannot shape-shift, but that. Does. Not. Matter.
He used his own resources, his abilities and his wisdom to reach enlightenment himself. He accomplished many things throughout the book, like landing a job with Kamaswami, for being intelligent.
Something else that makes me make the Batman-Siddhartha connection is that both of them have a loyal friend by their side and a person who gives them advice. Batman has Robin, his loyal sidekick, who follows him around and helps him keep Gotham City safe and sound. Siddhartha has Govinda, who always looked up to him, always believed in him and cheered for him. To advise him, Batman has his butler, Alfred. Alfred always tells him what he should do, what he shouldn't do, when the cops look for him, what his parents would've though, and so on; he is constantly trying to guide him in the direction he believes is for best. Now, Kamala teaches Siddhartha and advises him on what to do, what to wear, and how to act. Like Alfred, she believes it's for best. Kamala makes Siddhartha get a job, buy her things, dress fancier, and in the end she makes him more materialistic.

In the end, a little bit of Superman, and a little bit of Batman became... Siddhartha!
Did you see that coming? I certainly did not.

I think that was original enough, eh? In your face, Ana!

Until next blog!

1 comentario: